19 March 2012
From Denny: Remoulade sauce is popular here in Louisiana because it is so versatile. This restaurant recipe makes a large amount so plan on dining on a lot of salads, gifting some friends or holding a family reunion.
Originally, remoulade sauce was used in France as a dressing for carrot, potato or raw celery root salad. Classic French remoulade sauce is based with Dijon mustard, fresh made from scratch mayonnaise and an assortment of favorite French herbs like tarragon, chervil and parsley. To that they add capers, some finely chopped pickles and then anchovies.
But this is the Creole style of remoulade sauce we enjoy here in Louisiana. This version of remoulade is much more spicy. We use Creole mustard in place of the traditional Dijon mustard. We also include ketchup, finely chopped green onions or minced shallots. To kick up the spice once more we add hot pepper sauce like the Tabasco brand or finely ground cayenne pepper.
So, how can you use a remoulade sauce? We love it with seafood like shrimp cocktail, seafood po'boy sandwiches, crab cakes or a pan-fried fish but it also goes well with cold meats.
16 March 2012
Dennys: News Politics Comedy Science Arts & Food: Fun St. Patricks Day Facts To Ponder While You Swill Green Beer
|Image via Wikipedia|
|Image via Wikipedia|
South Louisiana is primarily Catholic and we like our champion demon-chasing warrior saints. Honoring him is serious business.
Here in Louisiana we celebrate with none other than a St. Patrick's Day Parade, complete with official bead-throwing and green beer freely flowing.
Since all good holy days have a serious component along with the feasting here's some brain food to feed you too. Be sure to check out my other St. Patrick's Day posts at the end of this post. Lots of interesting historical trivia, quotes, poems, Irish blessings and funny thoughts too.
- Comfort Food From Louisiana: Mardi Gras: Quick Mardi Gras King Cake (dennysguestbloggers.blogspot.com)
- Dennys Funny Quotes: 61 Best of Funny Mardi Gras Photos (dennysguestbloggers.blogspot.com)
11 March 2012
Romancing The Chocolate: Cookies: Almond Nuggets with Chocolate Drizzle: From Denny: Chocolate and almonds are the ideal combination for a cookie. This is basically a sugar cookie with sliced almonds that makes for a stiff dough.
It is a simple exercise of dropping the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet - so that makes it easy even for beginner bakers. The chocolate comes in when you ice the cookie with bittersweet chocolate that has been melted together with real butter and almond extract.
What's amusing is how the recipe creator actually thinks these mere 24 cookies will last long enough to make it into a covered container. Bring your friends! :)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Cookies: Triple Chocolate Pistachio Mint (dennysguestbloggers.blogspot.com)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Valentines Day Cookies: Reverse Chocolate Chip (dennysfoodandrecipes.blogspot.com)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Cookies: Chocolate Crackled (dennysfoodandrecipes.blogspot.com)
10 March 2012
Romancing The Chocolate: Chef Cookies: Cinnnamon-Espresso Chocolate Chip Vegan Style: From Denny: Raise your hand if you love the combination of coffee, chocolate and cinnamon. Yeah, I thought so; me too. This easy recipe is from Chef Chloe Coscarelli, a winner of the Food Network's "Cupcake Wars."
- Romancing The Chocolate: Chef Recipe: Chocolate Tart with Caramel and Cream (dennysfoodandrecipes.blogspot.com)
- Pasta: Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Cookies: Chocolate Crackled (unusual2tasty.blogspot.com)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Chef Recipe: Chocolate Tart with Caramel and Cream (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Chefs Recipe 4 Valentines Day: Warm Chocolate Cheesecake (unusual2tasty.blogspot.com)
09 March 2012
The Healing Waters: Why Losing Weight Is Difficult: Carb-Heavy Breakfast: From Denny: Currently, there is a 36 percent national obesity rate. For decades now, food manufacturers have outrageously manipulated the food supply by adding so many preservatives and excess sugars into products it has caused a national health epidemic.
Consumers are overwhelmed trying to find healthy food that is safe to consume and feed our families.
- Dennys Food and Recipes: Appetizer: Berried Brie (unusual2tasty.blogspot.com)
- Dennys: News Politics Comedy Science Arts & Food: Check Out Christmas Posts: Funny, Music, Cartoons, Quotes, Recipes, Poems, Stories (dennysartsanctuary.blogspot.com)
- 101 Year Old Australian Great Grandmother Fan of Facebook (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)
- Dennys Food and Recipes: Awesome Holiday Dessert: Baked Pear Parcels With Lemon Chamomile Sauce (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)