|Spanish Town Mardi Gras parade, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Image via Wikipedia|
From Denny: Need an easy dish to take to a Mardi Gras party - and want to be popular? Pinwheel sandwiches made from tortilla shells are so easy. This is a real crowd pleaser during the carnival season and comes to us from a veteran New Orleans native, now a food writer here in Baton Rouge.
It's also a healthy version, using whole wheat tortillas, hummus, sweet grated carrots and cucumbers for crunch. Fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced kalamata black olives, a little crumbled feta cheese, and optional avocado slices are combined with thinly sliced deli smoked turkey. Now that's a flavor combination!
Tracey Koch, is known for her healthy recipes and how to make recipes kid friendly in the kitchen. Be sure to read her kitchen tip at the bottom of the recipe to have some fun with your kids in the kitchen.
Turkey And Hummus Party Pinwheels
From: Tracey Koch, food writer at The Advocate newspaper
Yields: 3 dozen slices
6 large whole wheat tortillas
1 (10-oz.) container hummus (either roasted red pepper or original)
1 lb. thinly sliced deli smoked turkey
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
1 cup kalamata black olives, thinly sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Spread a tortilla with a thin layer of hummus.
2. Starting on one side of the tortilla, place a line of smoked turkey.
3. Next to the turkey place a row of the carrots, cucumbers, spinach, olives, feta and avocados if you are using them. (The rows can be touching or overlapping but not stacked on top of one another.) Repeat process with the other tortillas.
4. Roll the wraps up tightly and wrap securely with plastic wrap. Keep chilled until ready to serve. Before serving, slice into 1-inch slices and place on serving tray.
Kitchen Helpers: Have your kids help to prep all of the vegetables and then form an assembly line to put these wraps together.
- Comfort Food From Louisiana: Mardi Gras: Muffuletta Sandwich (unusual2tasty.blogspot.com)
- Check Out Beauty Foods For Your Skin (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)
- Thanksgiving: Bourbon Cornish Hens, Mushroom Stuffing (dennysfoodandrecipes.blogspot.com)
- Comfort Food From Louisiana: Mardi Gras: Winner Meatloaf and 3 Sauces (unusual2tasty.blogspot.com)
- Romancing The Chocolate: Cookies: Chocolate Bliss (unusual2tasty.blogspot.com)
- 16 Hilarious Photos, Signs to Keep You Wondering (dennysfunnyquotes.blogspot.com)
- Comfort Food From Louisiana: Mardi Gras: New Orleans Zulu King Cake (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)
- Super Bowl Party: 3 Healthy Chips, 5 Healthy Dips (thehealingwaters.blogspot.com)
Subscribe in a reader to Comfort Food From Louisiana
* Check out Dennys News Politics Comedy Science Arts & Food - a place where all my other 20 blogs link so you can choose from among the latest posts all in one place. A free to read online newspaper from independent journalist blogger Denny Lyon. *
*** THANKS for visiting, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, enjoy bookmarking this post on your favorite social site, a big shout out to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe in a reader or by email updates!